Monday 23 May 2016

Welcome!

This is a blog about me learning new things in bioinformatics, as well as keeping my knowledge and skills in the field fresh and up to date. I have been studying biotechnology at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden, for five years and I have obtained a Bachelor of Science  in biotechnology and a Master of Science in medical biotechnology. The education has to a large extent been focused on the engineering aspects of biotechnology and on innovation. It has also included many different scientific areas other than biotechnology and I have had the opportunity to read several courses in maths, physics, chemistry, computer science, philosophy and industrial economy.

During my master's studies I took the following three courses in bioinformatics:
  • Bioinformatics and Biostatistics - an introduction to bioinformatics and biostatistics. The course consisted of lectures and computer-based exercises and included some basic concepts of statistics and probability, database searching, using R for statistics analysis and visualisation and the theory behind some fundamental bioinformatics analysis methods.
  • Applied Bioinformatics - an introduction to bioinformatics and programming. The course consisted of lectures and computer-based exercises and included working in a UNIX environment, programming using Python and some basic SQL.
  • Analysis of Data from High-Throughput Molecular Biology Experiments - an advanced course in bioinformatics. The course consisted of lectures, computer-based exercises and a larger project performed in teams of three students. The focus was on analysis of biological data, such as RNA-seq data, from large-scale experiments.
These courses were so much fun and they really opened my eyes to bioinformatics. I graduated in 2015 and recently moved to Cambridge, UK. I'm now spending my days learning more about bioinformatics and looking for jobs in the area. 

In the future I will be posting my progress here, but in the meantime you might want to check out my previous bioinformatics blog that I wrote for one of the courses (bearing in mind that it's from 2014...) or my LinkedIn profile.

Have a nice day!


No comments:

Post a Comment